The search engines love WordPress especially Google. WordPress ranks a lot better in the search engines and it’s completely free! Anyone can use it, and you do not need to know much about HTML. I’m going show you how to set up a WordPress blog on your website.
WordPress needs to be installed on your web server. So the first step is to log into your hosting account to access your CPanel. Once in your CPanel scroll down to the software/services section, and locate “Fantastico De Luxe”. On the left you will find some menu’s – Locate WordPress which is under the sub-menu Blogs. In the new window, click on “New Installation”. Complete the following fields:
- Install on domain: – Select from the drop down list which domain to use for the installation.
- Install in directory: – Leave this blank to install on your home page.
- Choose an admin name and password: – This can be whatever you choose – you will use this to log into your wp-admin.
- Admin nickname: – This is the name visitors will see as the author of all content – just use your name here.
- Site name: – Here you will insert your domain name.
- Description: – Write a short brief description of your site.
Select Install WordPress.
Accessing Your Blog
In order to access your blog go to www. yourdomain.com/wp-admin and you’ll be prompted for the username and password you selected during the installation. Now comes the exciting part.
There are thousands of gorgeous themes available. Find a couple that you like, download and unzip them to your desktop. Now you need to upload them to the themes folder under wp-content in the public_html directory on your web server.
To do this, you will need to use FTP which stands for File Transfer Protocol, which allows you to transfer files from your computer to your web server.
Most FTP programs are the same – but for the purpose of this article we will use FileZilla. You will see the files on your computer displayed on the left side of your screen, and on the right side are the files on your web server.
- On the left hand side locate your unzipped folder for the themes you’ve chosen on your desktop.
- On the right hand side panel locate your website’s “public_html” directory. This is the folder that all your content is stored in.
- Double click on the “public_html” directory and you will see a folder called “wp-content”.
- Double click on the “wp-content” folder and click on “themes”. The current default theme should now be displayed in that folder. Keep your cursor on “themes”.
- Go back to the left hand side panel and right click on your unzipped folder containing your theme and select “upload”.
Now select “Appearance” on your menu and click on “Themes”. All available themes will be displayed. All you do now is select the theme you’ve just uploaded and click on “Activate”.
See how easy it is to set up a WordPress blog on your website? Now you get some content into your blog. Happy blogging!