‘Open Source’ are two words that have created a buzz in the software development industry today. All designers and developers have got an inclination towards it irrespective of the technology they use. It has formed a community of developers from across the world that design, develop and support each other. In the recent past, open source has attained an exponential boost and have encouraged a lot of programmers to create exceptional web applications using this technology. Business owners nowadays also are aware of the benefits of getting their websites or web applications built using such technologies.
1. Stability: In most of the businesses, the environment remains the same until the job changes or until they come up with better processes which are more efficient. So, businesses need stability and that is where open source web development comes into the picture. It provides this kind of stability, as the upgrades are not mandatory; they are optional. Also, changes are gradual and implemented only if the business needs these changes.
2. Audit: When commercial vendors claim for quality, flexibility, security or maintaining standards it provides you with the ability for a complete audit.
3. Cost:It is considered as one of the most affordable options to choose from because of several reasons. To start with, it is free of cost, which means free from the total cost of ownership. Moreover, it does not need regular upgrades; so, there are no management costs associated too. Also, the up times are longer which reduces the administrative overhead. Apart from all that, as it has got zero vulnerability to viruses, there will be no expenses for downtime, virus checking or data loss.
4. Flexibility and freedom:It offers you with complete freedom and flexibility to make the desired changes as per your business requirements.
5. Support: A lot of companies provide support for open source web development. So, in case you need any technical assistance you can hire resources from a company and get your issues resolved in no time.
Now that you are aware of some of the most important advantages you can take informed decisions about your development needs.