Using WordPress as a CMS (content management system) is considered to be one of the most effective ways to getting online – but is it really all that? If so, does it offer a solution to all kinds of websites, or are there some limitations to WordPress?
First, lets define what a CMS is – it’s any software which allows you to manage the content of a website easily, without having to hire a programmer to change coding every time you want to update your website.
WordPress is used as a blogging platform as well as a CMS by top web entrepreneurs all over the internet. Let’s look at the reasons why it’s so popular:
1. How much is WordPress? It’s free!
2. How easy is it to install WordPress? If you have the right web hosting package, then its as simple as a click of a button in your hosting control panel, and it installs.
3. Coding of WordPress itself is very light; which means any websites being run by WordPress will be fast.
4. Plugins can be used to enhance your site features (and plugins are mostly free, some ask payment). For example, if you want to rotate your ads on the sidebar of your website, you can do this by uploading a free plugin and pasting the codes of the ads – normally, you would need to manually install a script, which takes time, and requires technical knowledge.
5. Website design is easily maintained by WordPress by choosing a WordPress Theme. There are thousands of free WordPress themes out there, as well as premium themes you pay for; even the most expensive theme is nowhere near the full price of hiring a designer and coder to make your own website.
6. Customizing a WordPress Theme is actually very easy; so you can get a free theme, make some changes, and the end result is a professional looking website.
Now that we have covered the key features of a WordPress Website; here are the main limitations of WordPress:
1. You may not find a plugin that works exactly to your requirements. In this case, you can hire a programmer to create a plugin for you.
2. You may not find a WordPress theme that matches exactly to your requirements; in this case, you can hire a programmer to do this for you.
It’s important to point out that hiring a programmer from a freelancing website does not cost much, especially to create a small plugin or edit a WordPress theme so it matches to your exact requirements.