First off, I am a web designer, and I know all types of web design methods including PHP, straight HTML, WordPress, Drupal, Dreamweaver, there are a ton of platforms to work off, but if you are a beginner the easiest way to do it is with WordPress.
1. Buy your domain from whoever you want (Go Daddy, HostGator etc.).
2. Download the WordPress installation from the main WordPress website and then upload it on your host via ftp.
3. With either way you install WordPress you will need a database. Go on your registrar and click “my SQL databases” in your hosting panel.
4. You will then be able to create a database for WordPress, and you will need to keep these details for step 7 in the process.
5. Navigate to your Website and you will be asked for information pertaining to your title and description.
6. You’ll then be asked to fill in your database info and can then login to your WordPress dashboard.
7. From your WordPress dash you can then install your theme by going to appearance>>themes.
8. You can add your menu (navigation) by going to appearance >> menus.
9. You can add plugins by going to appearance >> plugins.
Plugins I recommend:
All In One SEO Pack: This will control your SEO and will give you an area to put titles, descriptions, and keywords on your homepage and on all posts and pages. This will enhance your SEO ranking.
BWS Contact Form: With this plugin you can install a contact form for users to contact you.
Google XML Sitemaps: This plugin will generate a sitemap for your site that Google can use to help your sites ranking.
WP Favorites: With this plugin a user can save posts or “add to watchlist” “add to favorites” or whatever you want to name it, it allows them to save content for later.
WP Lightbox: this plugin takes all images on the site and puts them in a slideshow format. It is particularly good for image sites.
I would recommend installing the plugins that I have mentioned as they will help your site in many ways. It will give you a good platform to work off with your new project you are embarking on.
** From your dash you can install your own theme, plugins, widgets and more. See more of my posts on how to set up menus, sidebars etc.