After you setup a WordPress blog some basic things including plugins and some optimization in theme is necessary to run smooth and enjoy blogging, so here we are discussing a list of 20 things which must be done after a blog setup on WordPress.
1. Install All In One SEO Pack Plugin: first step is to optimize the SEO of your blog Install the latest version of All In One SEO Pack WordPress plugin and fill up the fields highly careful like keywords and blog description because it does all the things of SEO after you setup it. if not comfortable with All in one SEO you may go for other plugin options in WordPress. see here for setting up all in one SEO
2. Design of your blog: You may obviously go for a free WordPress theme which are available and in also theme search option in WordPress and optimize it your own way. But giving a Unique design to your blog is the best way to give a different look than other WordPress blog.and you should consider these points in designing a blog.
3. Custom Permalink Structure: in the beginning WordPress uses a default permalink which is but from SEO point of view these two structures are good if you change your permalinks after you get indexed in other site that links will be broken and you may face a 404 pages which i faced it is also possible to redirect them by permalink redirection plugin but why to take a stake just change it in the start. see here for redirecting permalink.
4. Defining Categories: decide on the basis of complete overview that what are you going to write on your blog and then define categories dedicated to the content. you may add it afterward but changing structure many time affect and keep the number of categories to 15-20.
5. Add an About me Page: many of the blogger discussed about that how important is an about me page so add a neat and clean about me page of your blog. you can get an idea how important a about em page here.
6. Add FeedBurner feed to blog: it is very important to make a feed of your blog so that your daily visitors can subscribe to your blog and get updated directly in their email or in bookmarks.
7. Add plugin FeedBurner FeedSmith: This FeedBurner FeedSmith plugin helps you by detecting all ways of access to your blog and redirect them to your feeds page in feedburner so the to keep track of your every visitor/subscriber.
8. Add a RSS icon to your blog: by doing the above two steps you have done with your feeds but now don’t forget to add a RSS icon on your blog page either in header somewhere or on the top of sidebar which is the best place for RSS. you ca get many RSS icon for free here.
9. Install plugin Google Sitemaps: This plugin does 90% of your job for generating and submitting your sitemaps to different search engine. this plugin have many option like setting priority and all that which helps you to take control over you sitemap.the plugin generated sitemap is compatible with Ask.com, Google, MSN Search and YAHOO.
10. Write a Robots.txt file for your blog: we have already discussed how important a robots.txt file is for your blog so after generating sitemap by Google sitemap you must create a good robots.txt.
11. Install plugin central: plugin central is a easy to use plugin:
for installing updating many plugins at a time you just need to add the name and click install it will automatically install the plugins listed there. So make a list of your necessary plugin, add them and install at once.you can learn more information on plugin central here.
12. Add your Sitemap to Google Webmaster Tools: After you have done wit generating sitemap for your site.Add your new site to Google Webmaster Tools and then submit your sitemap there. Once you add your site, you will be able to find when Google bot last successfully accessed your home page, web crawl errors, etc.
13. Setting up Google Analytics: Google Analytics enables the view of your stats and let you easily monitor your stats just by adding a script to your page.you have to first signup for Google analytics and then get the code add the code to your website,verify it and you are done to monitor your stats including sources and all information that will help you to improve your website.
14. Set preferred domain: After you completely done with setting up
webmaster there is one thing that you must set which is Selecting your site from your Google Webmaster Tools dashboard and set your preferred domain by going to Tools>Set preferred domain.
15. Install Akismet plugin: Download and install Akismet plugin to catch comment spam.In wordress blog akismet comes already installed you just have to put your API key to Activate it. this is the safe and secure way to get rid of spam comments.
16. Digital fingerprint: “175,000 new blogs are created every day. There about 5.3 million blog postings per day, seventy percent of which are actually ‘spam’ from a splog” according to maxpower.ca. so to keep your content protected from copying you can use digital fingerprint plugin of WordPress. here is some more info which will help you in installing and setting up.
17. ADD Contact form: for Being in touch with your users and visitors you must have installed a contact us form so it is easy to reach by you. there are many contact form available you can use any of them according to your design contact form 7 is one of them.i use kontactr.
18. Install Subscribe to Comments: Install the Subscribe to Comments plugin which allows commenter on your blog to check a box before commenting and get e-mail notification of further comments. This encourages readers to come back and take part in the conversation.
19. Install comment love plugin:if you want to increase your number of commentators an easy way is to install comment love plugin which shows the most recent post of the commentators blog in this way the commentator also get benefit
20. Write Regularly: as said content is the king so all the above will be just a waste if you don’t update your blog regularly. so the must part is write regularly..if you have nay suggestion you are mostly invited here to join the discussion an let me know your views also..