Creating a blog may be a lot easier than you think. It can be done in a few simple steps. Anyone with little or no technical skills can create and maintain a blog. With the use of WordPress blogging software, it is a process which anyone can follow.
Blogs have become very popular in the past few years. The definition of a blog in Wikipedia is: A blog (a contraction of the term “weblog”) is a type of website, usually maintained by an individual with regular entries of commentary, descriptions of events, or other material such as graphics or video. Entries are commonly displayed in reverse-chronological order. “Blog” can also be used as a verb, meaning to maintain or add content to a blog.
Blogs are also used by companies and internet marketers as websites to promote their products. They make chronological entries of articles and other promotional materials related to their products. Blogs are usually more personal than traditional websites, and represent the owner of the website.
Besides being a very easy way to create your own website, the search engines also favor blogs. When you are creating a blog, use your keywords to optimize the blog for search engine optimization (“SEO”). You should use your keyword in the domain name, in the blog name, and throughout the pages of the blog. You can also insert certain plug ins (software modules that add specific features) in your blog that help with SEO. I use All In One SEO Pack, which is highly recommended.
Here are the steps for creating a blog with WordPress:
1. Get a domain name. Go to GoDaddy or Hostmonster and buy a domain name, which should cost you around $10.00 for a year.
2. Get hosting for your domain. I use Hostmonster and Hostgator, and they both provide great service. Your yearly hosting should be around $100. Activate your domain on your host server. If you don’t know how to do this, both of these companies have 24/7 phone service, and they will help you.
3. Download a WordPress blog. In Hostmonster, go to your cPanel, and search for Software Services, and then Simple Script. Go to the Script List click on the WordPress logo and it will open up a screen where you can choose your blog style.
Try to choose a formatting style that you like, even though you can change it later. This will bring up a screen that will ask you where you want Word press installed, and a scroll down list where you will click on the domain that you chose for this blog. At this point you have installed your blog.
In Hostgator, it is very similar. Go to your cPanel and search for Software Services, and then Fantastico Deluxe. It opens up to a list. Choose WordPress and “new installation”.
4. Username and password. Once the installation is finished, you will see a screen with a username and password. It will also have the site URL, which is your blog address, and the log in URL, which is your dashboard, where you will do all the editing to your blog.
5. Dashboard. Log in to your dashboard. As soon as you log in it will ask you to change your password from the generated password to your own choice of password. This will take you to the profile section when you choose the change of password. Finish up the rest of your profile. Save your settings.
6. Blog name and subtitle. Go to the “Settings” section under “Appearance” and fill in your blog name that will appear in bold letters as a headline in the header section of your blog, and the tagline, which is the subheading for your blog name. Always save your settings.
7. Start creating posts. Posts are your chronological entries. You will post articles, videos, pictures, quotes, anything that you want.
8. Create widgets. Widgets are usually what will appear in your sidebars. There are a lot of different choice of widgets you can choose, and you just pull them to your sidebar and insert whatever information you want. For example, there are widgets for “Recent Comments” and that will automatically generate a list, as comments to your posts come in. Also “Recent Posts” will automatically generate a list with the titles of your posts as you create them.
However, there are also “text” widgets where you can install plain text or HTML text. HTML text is used for banners and graphics.
9. Create pages. You will usually create pages for About Me, Contact Information, and Legal Disclosure.
10. Change your theme. You can change your theme at any time by going to the “Appearance” tab, “add new themes”. There you will have a selection of features that you may choose from for your blog design. Once you find a design that you like, you simply click “install”, and then “activate”. Your new chosen theme will appear with all your blog entries.
Once you have done these steps, you are done creating your blog. Now you are ready to start blogging. Bloggers usually update their blogs frequently. The more time and dedication you give it, the better you can make it. It is a lot of fun and a great way to market yourself.